Congratulations getting a Thymio robot! We are sure you want to get started right away.
(If you still need one, get one here.)
Here are a few things you should know.
Take Techykids on-line courses, complete with videos and quizzes!
Most of you will want to start right with the Thymio Course (Beginner) you have received this course free with your robot purchased from TechyKids
Here is some in-depth written documentation and classroom curriculum.
—Also, see below—
1. Turn on/off Robot
To turn on and off the robot hold the center button for 3 second. The button is capacitive touch. If buttons are unresponsive, do not touch buttons for 3 seconds then touch again. Buttons respond to changes in their capacitance.
To turn on Thymio, hold your finger on the circle touch sensor at the top for 3 seconds. Press an arrow key to switch colors, and press the center button again to activate the mode.
The robot comes with some pre-programmed functionality:
Printable Pre-Programmed List
- Green (curious) – Follows using horizontal proximity sensors
- Yellow (explorer) – Goes forward and turns when it sees something in its way
- Red (scared)– Runs away from what it sees and visualizes accelerometer when lifted
- Blue (sound)– Responds to sound/clapping
- Cyan – Follows lines. (Thick 1.5 in gaffer’s tape works best)
- Calibrate to line by:
- First: placing both bottom sensors over black and press forward and backward touch sensors at same time
- Second: placing both bottom sensors over white surface and press right and left touch sensors at same time
- Calibrate to line by:
- Purple – Responds to touch sensors & IR Remote Control
To turn off Thymio, hold your finger on the circle touch sensor at the top for 3 seconds.
- If buttons are unresponsive, do not touch for 4 seconds, then try again.
- If mode with lights off is selected, it is a user-saved program, and robot must be turned off to re-enter pre-programmed options.
3. Download Software to Program Thymio
- Aseba Studio for Thymio
Software Updated 1/10/2018
1.6 has great new features! Check out the new features here.
Software is available for Mac, PC, Linux, and Android systems. Download the software for free, here.
Chromebook user? There are two solutions for you. You can use Aseba’s Visual programming language if you are able to access the Google Play Store. Check to see if you have one of the compatible Chromebooks. If not, or you want a more comprehensive solution, email us at email@example.com with the subject “Need to Program Thymio with Chromebook” and we’ll fill you in on the other working solution for any chromebook.
Attention Mac Users: If you receive “Install AsebaXX.pkg can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer”, follow these directions.
3a. Upgrade Thymio’s Firmware
Thymio is continuously being improved. The most current firmware for Thymio is version 9. If the serial number on your Thymio starts with A-D, you most likely have an earlier version. To upgrade, see the instructions here.
3b. Set up the Remote Control
3c. Download Sound files to your MicroSD Card
4. Start Programming with the easy Visual Programming Language
Make sure you save early and save often inside the VPL window to prevent losing your work. A good practice is to save each time before you load code onto the robot.
5. Do more with the Advanced Visual Programming Language.
While in the VPL, press . Advanced Visual Programming Language allows the robot to be programmed in different states. The tutorial for this can be found here.
6. Understand written code
When using the VPL and Advanced VPL, the program writes and shows you the written code in the main software frame. Look at the code to understand it, and when you are ready you can close the VPS window and edit the written code. But it is important to note that once you do this, you won’t be able to open your file in the VPL again.
7. Write code
Some information on how to write code for Thymio is here.
8. Create Projects
8a. Create Your Own Sound Files
8b. Control Thymio Wirelessly
Check out our shop to get a remote control that can control Thymio wirelessly! Here are directions on how to link the remote to Thymio.